Redmi Note 9 Pro, a budget Xiaomi phone that was released back in May 2020. The phone came with MIUI 11 which was based on Android 10. Xiaomi promised 2 major Android updates and 3 MIUI updates for this device. Users got MIUI 13 update on their Redmi Note 9 Pro in July 2022. So it’s been a long wait for users to get the MIUI 14 update. Now the waiting period is over.
Xiaomi officially released MIUI 14 for Redmi Note 9 Pro which is based on Android 12 OS. You may want it to be Android 13 but as per Xiaomi committed, they will provide updates up to Android 12. We also can’t expect more than that from a budget brand that releases smartphones each month.
What’s new in this MIUI 14 update on Redmi Note 9 Pro
You may know that MIUI 14 doesn’t bring a lot of new chances over MIUI 13. Some of the key changes or additional features includes:
- Super Icons
- Adjustable Folder size
- New widgets
- Reduced system bloatware
- New wallpapers
There are not many changes in the features also. Redmi Note 9 Pro include all the MIUI 14 basic features along with:
- February 2023 Security patch
- A home screen folder that shows the most frequently used apps for easiest access.
How to get MIUI 14 for Redmi Note 9 Pro (Joyeuse)
The MIUI 14 update has already begun to roll out for selected users who include themselves in the beta program. General users will get the stable update soon once the beta session is over. Now if you are not in the beta program and wants to try this MIUI 14 on your Redmi Note 9 Pro then you have to follow the steps below.
Download MIUI 14 ROM from Xiaomi firmware Updater
Fortunately, the latest firmware of MIUI 14 for Redmi Note 9 Pro is already available on Xiaomi Firmware updates website. You just have to visit their website and download according to the variant of Redmi Note 9 Pro you are using. There are two variants of MIUI 14 for Redmi Note 9 Pro available there. One is for only the Taiwan variant and the rest is for the Global variant. Download according to your need.
Note that those are recovery rom and not fastboot rom. So the flashing processes are not the same. Once you downloaded, follow the below steps to flash MIUI 14 on your Redmi Note 9 Pro.
How to flash MIUI 14 recovery ROM on Redmi Note 9 Pro
Flashing Recovery ROM on Xiaomi devices is quite easier than you might think. There are three ways to flash Recovery ROM on Xiaomi devices. The ways are following
- Via Updater app of your phone
- Via Stock recovery
- Via Custom Recovery
Updating Redmi Note 9 Pro to MIUI 14 using Updater app
FIrst copy the downloaded recovery rom and paste in into the following folder of your phone:
If there is no downloaded_rom folder in the Download folder then simply create one with the same name. This is just to simply find the rom.
Now go to settings of your Redmi Note 9 Pro
Open About phone then press on MIUI version. This will open a page with the currently installed MIUI version.
Click on the three dot icon on top right of the page. Click choose update package and this will let you choose the .zip file that you placed earlier inside the downloaded_rom folder. Click on the rom file and you will get a prompt to confirm that you are updating your phone to MIUI 14.
Flashing MIUI 14 on Redmi Note 9 Pro using stock recovery.
This method is handy for users who’re in the stock recovery. Follow the below steps to flash MIUI 14 recovery rom via stock recovery
- Copy/Move the recovery rom file inside the Internal Storage/ of your phone. Just put it inside the root directory of the internal storage and not inside any folder. Also rename the file to update.zip.
- Then press and hold volume up, volume down and power key at a same time. This should trigger the update process automatically. If this is not working for you follow the below method.
In some older stock recoveries, the auto flashing may not work. In this case you have to do it manually. To do it:
- Turn off your Redmi Note 9 Pro. Then press and hold Volume+ and Power key at the same time until you see the recovery screen.
- Once you are in stock recovery, you have to navigate with the volume keys and select an option using the power key. Now select ‘Install update.zip to system’ option and select Yes option on the next window. This will start the flashing process.
- After the flashing process is complete, go Back and select Reboot option to boot back into the system.
Flashing MIUI 14 via custom recovery (TWRP, OrangeFox, etc)
Ok if you have a custom recovery installed on your phone then you can also flash the recovery rom using that custom recovery. To flash MIUI 14 on your Redmi Note 9 Pro, boot into custom recovery. Simply flash the .zip file and this will automatically do the job. Note: you don’t have to do any format data as you do for custom roms. Just flash and reboot to system. This will automatically apply the update to your phone.